10 Important Points regarding GPS Tracking and Data Protection
GPS Theft Protection and Data Protection – what do you need to be aware of in this regard? Stefan Sinnegger, CEO and co-founder of PowUnity, has already sold thousands of GPS trackers (BikeTrax). In doing so, the matter of data protection also plays a central role. He lists 10 criteria that owners of e-bikes and GPS trackers should be especially aware of.
Important Points regarding GPS Tracking and Data Protection
Stefan Sinnegger explains what you need to pay attention to when it comes to GPS tracking, in order to comply with the data protection requirements.
- It should be possible for the owner of the e-bike to easily delete single recorded routes at any time.
- The e-bike owner should be able to delete all of the recorded routes by “de-registration” of the GPS trackers at any time, in just a few steps.
- The deleted routes or the entire history should be gone from the GPS tracking provider’s backups after 7 years, at the latest.
- The server on which the routes are stored should be situated in Europe.
- Sharing of a combination of personal data and the recorded routes with third parties should only be possible with the express permission of the e-bike owner and subject to clearly recognisable advantages.
- Profile information should be deleted after the deactivation of the GPS tracker, and after a specific period of time.
- Sub-processors with which the GPS tracker provider or the product are associated, and are located in the United States, should be certified according to the EU-US Privacy Shield. Examples of such processors include web hosting companies or providers of pre-programmed login masks. (The EU-US Privacy Shield is an informal agreement in the area of data protection legislation that was negotiated between the European Union and the United States of America in 2015-2016).
- The GPS tracking provider and the sub-processor should enter into an order processing contract.
- The GPS tracking provider is a European company that is subject to the GDPR of the European Union.
The reliable theft protection
If these 10 criteria are met, e-bike owners can equip their e-bikes with a GPS tracker with a clear conscience. The added value of digital theft protection is a thousand times greater than the risk of data misuse.
PowUnity has set a goal for itself – to finish off bicycle thieves. In Germany, less than 5% of bicycle thefts are solved. The reason for this extremely low rate is because in the past, the police had no clues to go on, and solving a bicycle theft required detailed detective work. But thanks to digital components like PowUnity’s BikeTrax, the police has a concrete lead now.
GPS Tracking and Data Protection ▷ Leading topic in digital e-bike theft protection ▷ 10 important tips ✚ suggestions about what you need to consider ➥ powunity.com