About the Bafang Go app in a nutshell:
- The connection between the Bafang Go and the e-bike is established via Bluetooth. The Bluetooth chip is located on Bafang displays. However, it is important to note that not every e-bike with a Bafang motor has an integrated Bluetooth chip. Find out beforehand.
- With the Bafang Go app, you can view the current speed, riding time and battery charge level, switch between support levels, view simple fitness data and switch the lights on and off.
- If you are looking for a better manufacturer-independent e-bike app to control your e-bike, we recommend the GPS tracking system BikeTrax from PowUnity. On top of that, it is also a highly efficient anti-theft device for e-bikes.
E-bike apps are a central component of smart e-bikes. Depending on the app, you can use your smartphone to access the settings of your bike, navigate, evaluate routes and much more. We are sure that in the near future, the combination of smartphone and mobile phone application will replace the traditional display.
Currently, most apps for e-bikes come from motor or e-bike manufacturers. The Chinese brand Bafang also has its own mobile phone application: Bafang Go. In this article, we took a closer look at it.
The manufacturer – a few words about Bafang
Bafang is a fast-growing motor manufacturer from China. The company is headquartered in Suzhou near Shanghai and operates subsidiaries in Germany, the Netherlands and Poland, among other countries.
The current product range includes complete drive systems for different areas of application (for example eRoad or eMTB Systems) as well as the following products:
- rear motors
- front motors
- controllers, sensors and various accessories
Special features of Bafang
One of the special features of Bafang is that the company works with partners of all sizes. It is also characterised by more flexibility than many European motor manufacturers. For example, Bafang drive systems can be used with displays of other brands. On top of this, the company’s products have a relatively low price. This makes them popular in many countries, such as the Netherlands.
Those who have signed up to Bafang’s newsletter may know that the company has recently introduced a new IoT system based on the interaction of a cloud, its own module and the Go+ app. So far, the Go+ app is only available for download in Chinese and English. That’s why we’re going to focus on the classic version, which you can download for free from the Google PlayStore as Android users and Apple’s App Store as iOS users.
The Bafang Go app at a glance
Good e-bike apps can do more than conventional bike apps. Much more, in fact. Whether route recording, bike configuration or theft protection – the potential is great. Details on the different categories and functions of e-bike apps can be found in our overview article “How to find the best e-bike app for your needs”.
The Bafang Go app has existed almost unchanged for several years. Compared to the apps of other manufacturers, it has a limited range of functions. This is already shown by the preview in the App Store.
The functions of Bafang Go mobile phone application
First and foremost, the Bafang app allows you to use your smartphone as a display, although display here could also be translated as “speedometer”:
- display information such as current and max speed (and even Avg Speed ODO), riding time and battery charge level (thanks to battery voltage indicator),
- switch between support levels,
- view simple fitness and human health data (such as heart rate and calorie data),
- make use of navigation steering and traffic tips, and
- switch the lights on and off.
Is that it? Yes, that’s it.
How the app connects to the smartphone
The connection between the Bafang Go and the e-bike is established via Bluetooth. The Bluetooth chip is located on Bafang displays, which is nothing unusual.
Important note: Not every e-bike with a Bafang electric motor has a Bluetooth chip integrated. This overview of Bluetooth-enabled displays of the brand will give you a guide for the selection.
Excursus: Replacing the Bafang display
Do you want to make your e-bike “Bafang Go ready” with a new display?
You don’t need to be a trained mechanic. Simply proceed as follows:
- Each display has a short cable that is connected to the bike’s motor via a second, longer cable.
- First find the connector that connects the short and long cable. You will usually find it on the handlebars.
- Unplug the connector and replace the display. Then you only have to install the app to be able to use it.
How the Bafang Go app performs in practice
There are currently only a few reviews of the Bafang Go app in the App Store. However, the results indicate that the app is not only minimalistic, but also works moderately well in practice.
Comparison with other e-bike apps
To categorise the Bafang Go app, it is worth taking a look at solutions from other leading manufacturers:
- Bosch has several apps in its range. With E-Bike Connect, you get a solid solution for route planning, navigation and tracking, as well as paid premium functions. The combination of SmartphoneHub and Cobi.Bike app is an advanced solution for those who want to use their smartphone as a display – but it is not cheap to retrofit. In addition, Bosch apps are only suitable for e-bikes with a Bosch motor. However, such restriction applies to most similar apps on the market.
- You also have a choice with Shimano. The E-Tube Ride app is a reliable display replacement, while the E-Tube Project app is primarily used to make settings – but is not convincing in practice.
- As far as configuration options and parameter settings are concerned, the VanMoof app is ahead of the game. The much touted option of locking and unlocking e-bikes without a key, on the other hand, is not suitable as effective protection against theft. In addition to the official app, there is Moofer, which is popular for its tuning function. However, we do not recommend this app for security reasons.
Speaking of anti-theft protection: We can think of another manufacturer-independent alternative to the apps mentioned.
For Bafang motors, in addition to the manufacturer’s displays, you can get the so-called Eggrider displays, for which there is also a separate app..
The PowUnity app – a manufacturer-independent alternative
Whether Bafang, Bosch or Brose, with the PowUnity app and the BikeTrax GPS tracker you remain flexible. Our manufacturer-independent solution offers you highly efficient theft protection and other valuable functions:
- The GPS tracker is integrated into your e-bike motor in such a way that it is not visible from the outside.
- If someone tries to tamper with your e-bike without permission, the PowUnity app immediately notifies you on your smartphone.
- Even if you arrive too late to stop the thieves, there is a high probability that you will get your e-bike back. This is because the PowUnity app supports real-time access, which means that you can transmit the e-bike’s real-time location directly to the police.
- With the PowUnity app, you also benefit from automatic route recording.
To optimize user experience, our app will receive an extensive update in 2023. Then you will be able to use it as a display, view speed, performance and ride data and plan maintenance via the app.
To e-bike manufacturers who cooperate with PowUnity. we offer a white label solution of the PowUnity app.
Conclusion on the Bafang Go App – there’s more to come
In the past, Bafang has repeatedly proven to its customers that good quality in the e-bike sector does not have to be expensive. The Bafang Go app, however, looks like a product that urgently needs a general overhaul. This starts with the limited range of functions.
Those who decide to install the app should therefore not expect too much – or switch straight to a reliable manufacturer-independent solution such as the PowUnity app.