- Free shipping from 220€The order of accessories (without BikeTrax) is excluded from the free shipping costs.
PowUnity explains, Top, Topics
Bike repair app – how apps help you maintain your e-bike
Do you want to know when it’s time for the next routine maintenance of your e-bike? Do you need tips on how to get your bike ready for the season? If your bike becomes damaged during your ride, do you want to be able to fix it yourself?
As we mentioned in our overview article “How to find the best e-bike app for your needs”, some e-bike apps specialise in bike maintenance. In this article, we will dive deeper into this topic.
You will find out:
- how apps can help you with bike repair and maintenance,
- what differences there are, and
- which apps currently specialise in this topic.
What a bike repair or maintenance app is good for
Every bicycle should be maintained regularly. But it becomes more tricky with e-bike in comparison to conventional road bike or mountain bike. The motor, battery and software must be checked and, if necessary, updated. Non-professionals can’t do that without the right equipment.
The situation is different with repairs to tyres, chain or gears – provided you know how to proceed correctly with repairs.
A repair or workshop app on your mobile phone can help you in both cases. Depending on the app, it reminds you of the next maintenance, independently checks system components, shows you the nearest workshops or provides you with information about repair work.
- You never miss a routine inspection.
- You’ll know when it’s time for a workshop visit.
- You can easily book appointments for repairs via the app.
- In the event of minor breakdowns on the road and away from cities, you always know what needs to be done.
Workshop app, maintenance and repair – differences between various apps
Bicycle repair apps come in different forms.
First of all, there is a difference in whether it is an e-bike app that offers a maintenance function in addition to other features, or a specialised repair or maintenance app.
In addition, the following functions can be distinguished:
- Maintenance diary: With a maintenance diary, you can keep track of how long it has been since the last inspection and when it is time for the next one.
- Help with finding a workshop: Do you want to know where to find the nearest service partner? Apps like bikeservice will tell you. In addition, you can book your appointment directly via the app and, depending on the app, you can do even a lot more.
- Checking system components: Some e-bike apps from motor or e-bike manufacturers check components such as the motor and notify you when it’s time for an inspection.
- Repair guides: If you want or need to repair your bike, an app with a complete guide will help you. During a bike tour, this option is much more practical than carrying a manual around with you.
Important note: Workshop and repair apps usually have nothing to do with tuning. You can find out why we generally advise against e-bike tuning in our article “E-bike tuning: possibilities and risks”.
Examples of workshop and repair apps
As already mentioned, some apps from manufacturers include maintenance functions. You can find out more about this in our tests of various e-bike apps.
Here are some examples of specific maintenance or repair apps:
bikeservice is an app that helps you with upcoming repairs. It shows you workshops in a desired region and gives you the option of making an appointment via the app.
When making a reservation, your local bike shop asks about your problem or the service you want. You even have the option of having your bike picked up by a courier. When the damage is repaired, you will be notified by email or text message.
All of this is available free of charge for Android and Apple phones.
All of this is available free of charge for Android and Apple phones.
- overview of the nearest workshops
- possibility to make an appointment
- option to have your bike picked up by a courier
- notification to your e-mail address or by SMS when the repair is completed
The bicycle maintenance guide app Bike Repair is perfect for anyone who likes to do things themselves. In the app you will find around 60 very detailed photo instructions plus a selection of tips and tricks.
You can also keep a maintenance diary with Bike Repair and connect the app to Strava to be reminded of necessary checks after a certain number of kilometres.
- detailed instructions for repairs with photos
- collection of tips and tricks
- maintenance diary
- possibility to save information about your own bike
The Bikonnect app combines a range of functions for e-bikes. For example, you can use the app to view bike data and record routes. It also performs a system diagnosis. This means that it takes a close look at the app’s bike computer, battery and motor.
How well this and the rest works is difficult to assess at the moment. Because Bikonnect is so new that there are hardly any reviews.
- overview of bike data
- route tracking
- automatic system diagnosis
free of charge
After intensive surveys and analyses, we at PowUnity know that maintenance functions in a cycling app are of great importance to e-bikers. That’s why a maintenance feature is planned for the new PowUnity app from spring 2023.
You will be able to create a maintenance diary and save reminders for your next inspections. This way, you will also have a “ready proof” for the insurance company – that you are taking the best care of your e-bike.
But that’s just one of the many functions that our app offers. In combination with the BikeTrax GPS tracker, you benefit from highly efficient theft protection with real-time tracking, route recording or bike passport. This makes the PowUnity app much more than a maintenance app.
- maintenance diary and automatic reminders for inspections (from spring 2023)
- reliable theft protection with real-time tracking throughout Europe
- route recordings
Bicycle repairs and maintenance with an app – Conclusion
Few e-bike or bicycle apps are yet dedicated to the area of maintenance. However, we at PowUnity know from dedicated surveys that this is precisely the feature that e-bikers (both casual and serious riders alike) want. Three types of apps can be distinguished: workshop apps that show you bike repair shops, maintenance apps with timers that tell you when the next maintenance is due, and repair apps with help for DIY repairs.
In addition, e-bike and motor manufacturers are increasingly integrating diagnostic functions into their apps. This feature in particular is likely to gain in importance in the future. After all, unlike conventional bikes, networked e-bikes open up great opportunities to access and check system components via smartphone.
Either way, bike apps can’t replace a head bike mechanic. But they can make it easier for you to keep your bike in good shape, have important maintenance appointments on time and carry out small repairs on your own. And that’s already quite something.
eBike GPS tracking
can be that easy!
You want to secure your bike live and reliably against theft? The PowUnity GPS tracker BikeTrax is smarter than thieves.Order BikeTrax